If this is your first time coming across the biomarker known as HRV, here is a super quick run-down on the health metric that is becoming popular in the realm of personal development:
Heart rate variability (HRV) is the measure of the variation in the time interval between heartbeats. It is an indicator of the health and function of the autonomic nervous system, which regulates automatic bodily functions such as heart rate, digestion, and breathing.
At MOVMNT, I am on a mission to help others optimize their stress and live fuller lives through my client sessions, my research, my trainings, and my wellness brand corporate consulting work. I do so primarily through the lens of resonance breathwork. But breathwork is not the only way to boost your HRV score.
Here are ten things you can do to improve your HRV this month:
- Practice resonance breathwork (sometimes called coherence breathing).
- Exercise on a regular basis while avoiding overtraining and allowing for adequate recovery.
- Get enough sleep to feel rested in the morning, and try to stick to a regular sleep schedule.
- Experiment with relaxation techniques like meditation or progressive muscle relaxation.
- Consume a healthy diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Avoid heavy consumption of tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine, all of which can reduce your HRV.
- Proactively work with stress by using techniques like time management, setting boundaries, and seeking help when you need it.
- Consider embedding natural supplements such as magnesium or omega-3 fatty acids, which may improve HRV.
- Consider acupuncture or chiropractic care to help regulate the autonomic nervous system.
- Practice gratitude and positive thinking to reduce stress and improve overall well-being.
As always, it is important that before making any major life changes that you consult with your primary care provider. But this simple list is a great way to open that conversation, and to start thinking creatively of all the inspired steps – big and small – you can take this month to boost your physical, mental, and emotional well-being by the time the next month rolls around!
Interested in either becoming a certified practitioner with our accredited training program, or just becoming trained like one so that you can implement this technique on yourself? You can join the waitlist for our next release of BREATH & BODY here.